Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Risk Taking.....

.....it is innvigorating, yet so scary. So here it is for the world to know, I am kind of embarrased, but what the heck, I went to the model and talent search here in Saskatoon. Now before you all ask, what was she doing there?? I will tell you that I went for the 'acting' part of the eveing as I am 27, have two kids (which means that I don't have a stick-like figure....who likes that anyway?) and I am 5'3" and the minimun height for models is 5'7". My beef with that can be reserved to another posting entirely. So, the evening goes something like this: You show up with a crap load of other people and then do your thing. For me it was a reading of a fake Gap commercial...I thought that was well suited as I practically keep the store in buisness...Tim can attest to that! Anyway, then the peoples in charge meet and ask the people that they want to interview to stay and the others leave. Then they have 15 minute interviews with those that are left...So I was there from 6pm-8:40. Then after the interviews, the ones they like and think will do well, get an invite to the 3 day conference in Calgary where they will have agents from all over the world there to see you. The ratio is about 1 agent to every 15 people and there are only 400 people, like me, invited to attend. So, on August 12-14, I will be in Calgary basically having auditions and having the opportunity to meet with agents at a free meet and greet time. I get to have one tv commercial audition and one tv script audition. So, I am not sure whether to be excited or embarassed? Most people, even those closest to me, have no idea that I would love to act. I mean, I just told Alison last week. It has been a dream of mine for years, but the order in which I did my life didn't really lend itself to pursuing that dream....I mean, what am I going to do, move to L.A for a year? I think not! So, maybe this will help me get started. Oddly enough, I am a tad on edge....I mean having a passion is one thing, but pursuing it, only to find out that you aren't cut out for it or not good enough can potentially be devistating. There is part of me that would just like to leave the whole thing as my 'dream', my little part of life that is not really reality. But, I am getting ahead of myself here as I haven't even gone to Calgary yet!! So, let's all raise our glasses (or computer mouse) to the pursuing of our passions and dreams...I'll let you all know how it works out :)

6 comments:

kristin janzen said...

that's so fun that you get to go to calgary to get "checked out." good luck with that! i read this blog yesterday, and last night i had a dream about you doing some strange play at elim and you made tim be in it too and he was soooo not into that! but you lit it up! and hey if i dreamed it, it's destiny!

AlisonVeritas said...

Way to go! This is so up your alley, and pursuing your dreams doesn't have to look cookie cutter, like moving to LA, did you know that next to Hollywood, Vancouver has the largest film industry in North America! What do you have to lose?

Anonymous said...

Good for you Jenn, and consider my mouse raised! P.S. if you ever find yourself doing a commercial or scene where you need someone to pull a door shut on your face or just chuck you on the ground, I'm your man. Anyone else who reads this, just disregard. :)

Jenna said...

Congradulations Jenn! That is really great news and I think it is soo awesome that you are going after your dreams! It makes me want to actually try to get my books published. Sheesh

Just Me said...

Oh, Mariah (aka Byron), you know that if I ever feel the need to physically beat myself...I'll just put myself on a plane to Boston and let you work your magic!!(high school memories...for those of you that are curious :)
Luv, Constance

Linoleum said...

indeed, cheers to following your dreams! how did you know about those auditions here anyway?